FireStick is an incredible media device. But, the 8GB storage space it offers isn’t so great. The apps and services, with their data and cache, take up the space faster than you would like. When the storage runs low, FireStick develops performance issues. If your device has gone slow or behaving erratically, you might want to look at the remaining storage space. By resetting your FireStick, you can start over as if your device was new. It will be faster and more responsive. In this article, we learn how to reset Amazon FireStick.
HOW TO RESET AMAZON FIRESTICK/FIRE TV?
We are going to talk about two methods to reset FireStick. Both these methods will restore your FireStick to factory defaults. However, they may be used in different situations. Let’s take a look at them one by one.
Method 1: Reset to default using FireStick Settings
This is the most common method to reset FireStick and does not involve any secret tricks. But, it will work only when your device isn’t stuck or frozen. If your FireStick is not responding, you will want to use the second method.
To reset Amazon FireStick when it is working, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to ‘Settings’ option on the top of the FireStick home-screen
- Now, navigate to ‘Device’ option in Settings and open it
- Scroll down to the bottom and click ‘Reset to Factory Defaults’
- Click ‘Reset’ and confirm your intent when the warning prompt shows up
This is the straightforward way to reset FireStick and go back to the default factory settings.
Method 2: Reset FireStick when it is not responding
Please note that you don’t necessarily have to use this method only when FireStick is not responding. You may use it even when it is. However, the first method is quicker and easier when your device is working.
Here is what you need to do:
- Hold down the back and right buttons together for exactly 10 seconds
- A prompt will now appear asking you to confirm your intent to restore FireStick to factory defaults (this prompt will stay on the screen for 20 seconds. If you let the timer run out, your device will automatically reset even if you don’t confirm your action. So, if you don’t want to reset the device, click ‘Cancel’ within 20 seconds)
- Click ‘OK’ to reset FireStick
WHAT’S NEXT AFTER RESET?
When you restart FireStick after the factory reset, it will present you with the setup screen, as if you are using the device for the first time after taking it out of the box. This means you will need to set your FireStick up from the scratch. During the setup, it will also ask you to sign in to it with your Amazon account.
You will also need to download, install and set up (if required) all your apps, games, and services again. However, if you are signing in with the same Amazon account as before, you will not need to pay for the apps, services, or subscriptions again. They are tied to your Amazon login.
After resetting, I would recommend you to jailbreak FireStick so that you don’t have to install multiple apps again. These apps quickly take up your storage and cause performance issues. When you jailbreak Fire Stick, you don’t need a lot of apps any longer. You can get all your favorite content through Kodi.
There are two ways to reset Amazon FireStick. The first method can be used when the device is still responding to your remote. The second method is usually for the situations when FireStick is unresponsive. After resetting the device, you will need to install all your apps and services again.